Monday, March 18, 2013

rocking chairs.....

Now, lets talk about swivel gliders.  Paschal was E.P.I.C. at Brooks furniture Saturday   He kept saying... lets go to that old store and get a rocker.  It wasn't till he pointed at the patio/front porch rockers that I realized he had been talking about Cracker Barrel.... he honestly thought those were the only rockers available... I now see where he got the "under $100" idea.  


After talking to the sales associate for a bit and looking through the store.... we made the unanimous decision to NOT buy a rocker/glider.  I can't justify wanting a $700 glider (not even including the ottoman) and wanting to stay home next year.  Even now, typing "$700 glider" seemed wrong.  So, the Paschal's owe a big thank you to Google... because after a few searches.... this is what we found: 
Mrs. Wiggle Bottoms
Apparently you can turn ANY chair into a swivel rocker or swivel glider... for around $200, maybe less. I found this website (here) that sells the attachments, with instructions.  Also Mrs.Wiggle Bottoms has picture by picture instructions.  Can you believe that chair is from Ikea? Its around $199.  Now, all added together (ikea + glider attachment) we're still looking at $399... but then I remembered something... again.  Mamoo had a really nice recliner that wasn't bulky or masculine... it had been at her new house and maybe, realistically, only set in a few times...that chair is only a few days away from being recovered and turned into a glider.  We're going to put it in the living room (where the leather chair is now).  This still leaves the babies room.  After asking a lot of friends "How often do you use your nursery rocker?" and hearing a lot of "You sit, rock, feed, play in your living room... rarely in the nursery"... I've decided to forgo a glider for that room.  Again, Mamoo had another treasure we hadn't noticed or paid attention to until now: 
She had two of them... this one is a bit different but the color of the wood and shape are close enough.  The had a back and bottom cushion, which I hope to have remade in a white to match the nursery... Paschal and I took turns rocking in the chair to make sure we weren't just settling because we're cheap. Surprisingly  this chair is perfect.  So we're down to the price of fabric, re-upholstering, swivel attachment.  

Sunday, I had not one doubt that the decision to use an old wood rocker and to recover/make our own glider/recliner was the right one.  Which is a HUGE step for me... a couple of years ago I would of lost it at the thought of not being able to have what others have.  Adoption changes everything.... it puts your "wants" into a whole new perspective (the word "healthy" also changes for you too... you go from wanting a healthy blonde haired blue eyed baby, to just a baby... ).  Oh, and I've decided to make the baby bedding.... I'm just not okay with a $97 bed skirt... wouldn't you rather buy $97 worth of clothes (if you're like me and only shop at old navy and target.. $97 can go a long way) that you can have for longer then the two years that crib bed skirt will get used? 

This post is getting too long! (is it "to" or "too"... I hated grammar in school)

~Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment